PIERO UMILIANI - IL MONDO DEI ROMANI
We Release Whatever The Fuck We Want Records is thrilled to announce the vinyl re-release of sought-after experimental gem Il Mondo Dei Romani by soundtrack and avant-garde maestro Piero Umiliani, remastered straight from the original reels and available for the first time since 1972!
Originally recorded for a TV documentary about ancient Rome and released on Omnicron (Umiliani’s label), Il Mondo Dei Romani finds Piero Umiliani experimenting with electronic instruments (his "oscillators") to offer a fascinating rendition of what synthesizer-based avant-garde ancient Roman music would sound like - a weird and extremely hypnotizing retro-futuristic experience where faux cithara, lyre, organ, and trumpet sounds are driven by proto-techno sequences and minimalist rhythms.
This brilliant electronic oddity is the perfect companion to WRWTFWW’s previous Piero Umiliani release, Tra scienza e fantascienza, and is a limited edition of 500 vinyl LPs (no digital).
ABOUT PIERO UMILIANI
Born in 1926, Piero Umiliani began his career as a jazz pianist (occasionally recording with Chet Baker) and started working on film soundtracks in the late 50s. Known as the man who brought jazz to Italian cinema, he left his mark on a long series of notorious Giallo and Mondo movies, soft sex films and Eurospy thrillers, getting praise for mastering sleazy funk, experimental electronica, or jazzy themes, and making a name among his peers named Ennio Morricone or Riz Ortolani.
It was with the Swedish Mondo Sweden Heaven and Hell that Piero landed his biggest hit - the infamous "Mah nà Mah nà" (originally "Hooray for the Swedish Sauna") which would later be used in Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Benny Hill and many more.
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Limited edition (500) vinyl re-release of Piero Umiliani’s Il Mondo Dei Romani.
- From Piero Umiliani, legendary soundtrack composer for numerous Italian movies of the 60s and 70s, and the man behind "Mah nà Mah nà" (Muppet Show, Benny Hill, Sesame Street), the Omnicron label ("sound library" works) and the Sound Work Shop recording studio.
- For fans of experimental music, avant-garde, synth experimentations, Ennio Morricone, Riz Ortolani, Giallo movies, Mondo movies, soft erotica, and wonderfully weird stuff.
- The album is fully remastered for new levels of enjoyment.
- New release from WRWTFWW Records aka We Release Whatever The Fuck We Want Records (John Carpenter’s Dark Star Soundtrack, Piero Umiliani’s Tra Scienza e Fantascienza, Garçons’ Re-Bop Electronique, Pieces Soundtrack, La France Interdite Soundtrack…), label founded and curated by Olivier Ducret of Mental Groove (Miss Kittin, Brodinski, Kadebostany...) and Stephan Armleder aka The Genevan Heathen of Villa Magica Records (Genesis Breyer P-Orridge, Christian Marclay, Stephan Eicher, Sylvie Fleury...)
all rights reserved